- Gas Reserves Estimates of the country.
- Resources Potential Assessment of the country.
- Optimal Gas Utilization study, which included Long-term Supply Demand Projection and Utilization of Natural Gas.
- Monitoring of Production Sharing Activities on behalf of Energy and Mineral Resources Division.
- Establishment of HCU Mini Data Bank.
- Act as Technical Arm in the Energy and Mineral Resources Division.
After successful completion of the first phase in December 2005, the second phase titled "Strengthening of the Hydrocarbon Unit (Phase-II)" in the Energy and Mineral Resources Division has been continuing since April 2006 and expected to be completed by the end of December 2012 being financed by the Royal Norwegian Government Grant and administered by Asian Development Bank.
Feeling the necessity of such activities in the first Phase, Government of Bangladesh has already set up HCU as a Permanent Footing in the Energy and Mineral Resources Division.
Energy and Mineral Resources Division entrusted the HCU with the following functions to perform: